It's been a busy year in the world of SEE Postgraduate Events. For the first time in years SEE has had an active postgraduate body, and I was a key contributor. During 2013 we provided the following activities and events:
- SEE Postgraduate BBQ and Petanque
- SEE Postgraduate International Potluck Lunch
- Inaugural UWA Earth and Environment Postgraduate Symposium
- Three SEE Postgraduate Writing Retreats
- 9 SEE Postgraduate Forums
- 10 John Glover Room Friday Social Events
- Initiation of the Facebook Page – now with 74 Members!
- Presentation peer review for forums
- Advocacy, including health and safety, rights and responsibilities
In particular, the School of Earth and Environment Postgraduate Representatives (including me) were very excited about holding the inaugural Postgraduate Symposium on Thursday 7 November. The event attracted about 40 participants, with two keynote speakers (staff within the department) and 18 postgraduate presentations. We had people presenting from across all disciplines within the School, and a range of activities dispersed throughout the day to ensure that even those that did not give a formal presentation would have their research introduced to everyone attending.
I think the success of the day is testament to all the hard work put in by the six current SEE Postgraduate Representatives.